Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Settling and Breaking Old Habits

It's been about 4 weeks that I have been living in Canada. As most people know, it's not my first time here. I was here in 2006 as an exchange student at a language school.

At that time everything was just fine and relaxing. I had basically no responsibilities and no homework or any kind of serious assignments. All I had to do was wake up in the morning, take a shower, get dressed and head to school. And everyday after school my friends and I would always have something to do, like going to a park, to the beach, playing soccer somewhere, or just hanging out around the city.

Now I'm back in Canada after 6 years and I guess all that will eventually just stay in the past. The feeling of the city is still the same. you go downtown and all you can see is a very lively city and a lot of students just hanging and horsing around. The thing is, that is not my life anymore. I'm not here with that purpose anymore. I'm here as a graduate student and that is a big thing. I'm here to grow as a man and to grow as a linguist and a professional.

Finishing school everyday and having to go home as soon as it finishes is still strange. I still feel like I wanna go downtown and just horse around with my friends. But I now realize that that is just not my life anymore. Pretty soon I'm gonna start working and all the responsibilities I had 2 months ago will be back at me. I'll wish I can get home right after class to prepare for work. Well, I guess that's what I'll have to face and internalize. 

No comments:

Post a Comment